Okay, this post is a bit different than my others. Instead of a creative writing piece, I’ve opted to write out my cannabis infused butter recipe that I perfected during my undergrad years.
What you’ll need.
- 3.5 or 7 grams (depending on your desired strength) per 1.25 sticks of butter. I say 1.25 sticks of butter as some will be lost during the heating and straining process to follow.
- Unsalted Butter.
- Cheese Cloth and a Strainer.
- Mortar and Pestle (or a grinder/ coffee grinder)
- Double Boiler setup.
- Rubber Spatula
- Preheat your oven to 240 F.
- Break up your cannabis and spread the buds evenly on a baking sheet.
- Bake your nuggets for 30-40 minutes. This process is known as decarboxylation and turns the inactive psychoactive acids i.e. THCA(cid) into good ol’ THC. Stir around your herbs every 15ish minutes to get an even bake.
- While your nuggets are decarbing in the oven. Melt your butter in the top portion of your double boiler on low.
- When your cannabis is done baking and your kitchen smells nice and pungent, crush it into a fine meal with your mortar and pestle.
- Add the cannabis meal to your liquified butter.Stir on low for 10-20 minutes. Do not turn up the temperature of the burner, it will not help.
- Your butter should be a bright yellow greenish color. Pour through your cheesecloth/strainer setup into whatever container you’ll want to keep it in; use your rubber spatula to scrape every bit out of the pot.
Tip: To get all of your butter, let the setup cool off a bit then wrap the cheesecloth up, twist the top, and squeeze the rest of the butter out. Your hands will get greasy, oh well.
For less heady butter preheat your oven to 250 and bake your buds for 50 minutes.
There you have it. Cannabutter to use in almost all recipes. Try not to use your butter in any recipe that calls for a temperatures greater than 350 degrees.